Guest: Jamie-Lyn Minaker
Jamie-Lyn is a nursing student, a health and wellness educator and a palliative care nurse at two different hospices.
Today we talk about:
• Why death remains a member of the let’s-not-talk-about-it club, even though it is the only thing that’s guaranteed in life
• How people deal (and do not deal) with death and the implications of that on a person’s mental health
• How we can get to a point of being able to talk about death freely and openly, especially before it happens
• Death Cafes
• Hospices: What they are, how they operate and what the role of a palliative care nurse is
• What does death look like?
• Emotion and vulnerability in the workplace
• Deathbed thoughts and regrets
• What’s next for Jamie-Lyn and her dream of opening a children’s hospice
• Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association / http://www.chpca.net
• Quality End of Life Care Coalition of Canada / http://www.qelccc.ca
• Ministry of Health and Long Term Care on Palliative Care / http://www.health.gov.on.ca